Monday, September 22, 2014

Who I am

Here in the 2am darkness I remembered who I am. While persons and circumstance tried to have me forget, I remember.

I am the girl born to 3rd generation immigrant parents, the first in my family to finish a four year degree

I started university when I was 17

I am the one who went out of state when everyone said we couldn't afford it, I got scholarships and I stayed on the dean's list making a 3.8 GPA in my economics major, economics people!

I am the girl who survived devastating breakups, not the least of which my parents marriage

I started my first full time job 3 days after graduating

I am the girl who landed an analyst role at one of the 10 largest banks in the world even though I was not an alumni of their target schools less than 6 months after graduating

The same girl who went on to be the shining star of that 2007 analyst class

The one who beat 2 addictions by the age of 22

I am one who kept her job through the crisis despite being one of the last hired

I am the girl who moved to that new place knowing no one, when people said she must have a boyfriend there she can't go alone....

The girl that turned that once unknown city into so many deep, and meaningful friendships that continue despite a vast distance between us

I am the one that held two committee posts and still got my 9-5 work done before my team members

I am the one who at one point had two jobs and two graduate classes to attend to

I am the girl who followed her spirit when it said go to a former war zone and help, and do it in a foreign language

I am the girl who put herself in harms way more times than I can count only to be restored each time by God

I am the one who went to live in the poorest places, when people asked why would you want to do that....

I am the women who now has 2 little girls and not much else but I will never forget who I am.

No comments: